Hello everyone, today I’m gonna teach you how you can develop a Sports Shoe, also known as sneakers in many parts of the world, using photoshop tools, this can be tried by any level of the user, that is if you are a newbie then it will be a learning experience as I’ll be starting from the scratch. The final image will look as shown in the above image, and this tutorial will involve many techniques, so follow the steps carefully to get the desired result. Developing a sports shoe can test your drawing skills, as well as your sensitivity with the mouse or mice usage. You will need lot of patience and concentration while developing the rope around the shoe and the holes through which it passes with shadow and glowing effects. Also, this tutorial will teach you the uses of many tools of photo shop which probably you might have not used it till now make you more familiar with photo shop. Also, this tutorial works fine with adobe photo shop CS4 and newer version which are released by adobe. 🙂
How to Develop Sports Shoe via photoshop
- Open adobe photoshop and create a new document, which you can do it via file option in the menu bar or by pressing Ctrl+N simultaneously. And then choose the size of the document you want to develop, I’m choosing 850×550, that is 850 pixel width and 550 pixel as height, and resolution as 300 pixels/ inch though it can vary from computer to computer as resolution is not same for everyone and I chose background as white with color mode as RGB 8 bit.
- Now chose the pen tool and draw the shoe structure, as I told this tutorial can test your drawing skills with mice and then right click on the image and then you see some options, select make selection option. And then use the brush tool, which you can find in the tool box and then fill the area we develop just before this with blackish color, I mean grey or very dark grey which looks like black or any other color which suits your taste with the settings as shown in the below image
- Now, again select the pen tool and mark the path such that the lower part, the sole part is selected and then using the make selection option fill it with a bit lighter color which you chose in the previous step, so I chose lighter grey color to fill the selected path having opacity as 100% and flow also 100%. After this adjustment the image looks as shown in the below image
- Now, create a new layer, you can create a new layer by pressing Ctrl+Shift+N or by going to menu bar you can create new layer and then make a path which is thinner than previously made path and then right click on it, then you see some options select stroke path from the options with hardness 0 and master diameter around 3 pixels. And then the mode of the layer to blend mode, you can do it by clicking a button in the palette just above the layers and then select the option Soft Light with fill as around 45%.
- Now repeat the the previous step for the upper part of the sole, just by changing the stroke path selection to make selection and then the image looks as shown in the below image
- Though you can create only one strip, but to make the image more realistic and to develop shoe from the brand we have developed two strips. Now make a selection as shown in the below image and then using 5 pixel feather fill the selected portion with the color synchronizing with the color you chose in the intial steps by decreasing the fill option around 70% and opacity to 100%, the image will look as shown in the below image
- After the above step select the Lasso Tool and the feather as around 0.5 pixels, as shown in the below image
and then select the brush with diameter more than hundred to add some highlights at the front and the rear part of the shoe.
- Now, using pen tool make a selection as shown in the below image. And then right click on the selection and then click on the make selection option and then fill the selected portion with the color synchronizing with your image, I chose almost black color and then add noise around 1.2%, which you can do ti by going to menu bar and then clicking on filter and then choosing the noise option from the drop down menu and then select add noise with distribution as uniform, the the image after this step should look similar to as shown in the below image
- Now, create a new layer by pressing Ctrl + Shift + N and then create a path using the pen tool on the shoe and then right click on the selected portion to select stroke path option, as shown in the below image
Now we will add some blending effects to the path using blending options. Right click on the image so far and the choose blending option and then choose drop shadow option with opacity around 43%, angle around 2 degree and blend mode as overlay, and remaining options you can adjust accordingly by changing and setting the variables value.
- Now, create another path on the backside of the shoe using the pen tools and then click on the make selection option by right clicking on the image then you image should look similar to as shown in the below image
And then you can add some highlights by selecting the brush and increasing the diameter, accordingly. And add some more strips to the shoe, to give your shoe a stylish look.
- Now, create a new layer and then using pen tool make the selection at the rear part and then add some blending options to it, that is add Bevel & Emboss effect with style as inner bevel, depth around 300 and technique as chisel soft, which you can select from the drop down menu then the image develop so far looks as shown in the below image
- Now, again create a new layer and choose the pen tool to design a symbol on the shoe, you can draw any symbol as you like, I’ve drawn a random symbol on the side part of the shoe and then add some noise to it so that the symbol looks embedded into it. Now we will add some blending options, for that right click on the image and then select Bevel & Emboss with the settings as we used earlier for Bevel & Emboss option in this tutorial, then the image looks as shown in the below image
And then using pen tool make some design on the symbol, we just developed and give it some glowing effects using the stroke path, though it is optional. And then add some overlaid layer at the back part of the show, like we see in a standard shoe, as shown in the below image
- Now, we will add some more effects to the shoe so that the developed shoe looks stylish and branded. for that select the pen tool and make the selection as shown in the below image and then add noise to it with blending options as overlaid
Now you can add some more paths on the shoe with the pen tool, so that the shoe looks stitched perfectly with synchronizing color, though it is optional.
- Now we add some effects to the front of the shoe, for that select the portion of the shoe as shown in the below image and then using brush with following adjustment fill it
- Now create new layer and then using pen tool make the selection as shown in the below image and then fill the portion by the color which is in synchronization with your selected color, I chose light grey then the image looks as sown in the below image
- Now, using lasso tool with feather radius around 10 pixels select the portions as shown in the below image and then add highlights to it using the brush
- Now, select the blending option as overlay and make another selection using lasso tool with feather radius as 10 pixel add some black color to the image using the brush tool with diameter of brush 50 as shown in the below image
Erase the extra black we painted using eraser.
- Now, we have add holes to the shoe so that the rope can go in and come out through that. For that make the selection using the pen tool as shown in the below image and then fill the selected area with the black color, and it is compulsory as the color of holes can’t be any other color, so don’t try with other color to make the color selection synchronized with your color, we are making realistic image and for that back color for holes is compulsory. And then add some stroke to it with blending option as overlay.
After applying the blending option, duplicate the layer for back-up, the image looks as shown in the below image,
- Now, Using the pen tool we will develop the rope which will go around the holes of the shoe, make selection as shown in the below image and then fill the path with synchronizing color, genrally we use black color for rope of the shoe, so I suggest use black color.
- And now, go to menu bar and select the layer by clicking on it and then select the layer style and then choose the Bevel & Emboss option and add some pattern to the rope, you can find the pattern in the options and then adjust the settings accordingly. I chose the settings as shown in the below image
- Now, select the interior portion of the shoe as shown in the below image and some effects to it to make the shoe we are developing more realistic, with the settings as shown
- Now, using stroke path and blending options draw the selection as shown in the below image, and then add some pattern to it, so that the image developed looks more furnished the work of the professional
- Now, apply some glow effects at the rear and the front part with shadow effect which you can see at the blending options and then you can see the final image, as shown in the first image of the tutorial.
And then you can see the final image which looks like forest wallpaper which has cherries, vines and leaves around it, with the touch of style, which you can see in the following final image of the tutorial
Also, you can add Text or the brand symbol of giants like Nike or Adidas or Reebok to show that the shoe you developed is from the branded company. In this tutorial you learned about many techniques which involve careful approach and extensive us of pen tool and in built patterns.
This concludes the long and not to boring tutorial on developing a sports shoe with glow touch in the image and how to make it look more realistic and look like a image developed by professional. And now you can use the developed image to showcase your talent to your friends, and you can also design a good shoe to sell the developed design to a shoe company, if possible.
Hope you didn’t got bored while reading the tutorial and implementing simultaneous. To get the expected results just play around with the tools, which fits your requirement correctly and by doing that you will learn more about photo shop software, brushes used in various images and tools, and at last you have fun and satisfaction that you developed something really wonderful using photo shop, and can go forward in your designing career using your creativity.
And at last, have fun.. 🙂