In this guide you will learn how simple it is to create your own blog using the free and open source platform called WordPress. Both the installation and the blog management are easy and straight forward to master. WordPress has been around for a very long time and there are a lot of free (and paid) themes and plugins on the Internet to extend the platform’s functionality to suit your needs, and since it has been around for a very long time it is easy to seek help online and there are a lot of tutorials online (aside from forums) on how to achieve whatever you want.
In this how to you will be required to know how to create an mySQL database and some basic stuff about managing hosting.
How to Create a Self Hosted WordPress Blog
Before you start you will need a few things. You will need hosting (that supports PHP and mySQL), domain name (optional, because usually some hosting companies give out free subdomains. Or you can get a free domain at www.co.cc) and the Worpdress script
- Make sure you have hosting and a domain or subdomain
- Create an mySQL database and a user using phpmyadmin or whatever tool your hosting provides you with (make sure you remember the database name, username and password)
- Download latest version of WordPress for free from https://wordpress.org/download/
- Upload and extract the zip file on your hosting
- Navigate to the url from your favorite browser (example: www.yourdomain.com)
- The first time you go there it will show you ‘Welcome To WordPress’ screen and things you going to need to install wordpress. Make sure you have everything required ready.
- Click the ‘Let’s go!’ button
- Enter the database name, username, password, database host (usually localhost) and leave the default table prefix
- Click the submit button
- Now it should say ‘All right sparky! …’ if not, go back and correct any errors and make sure that the password etc. are correct
- Click the ‘Run the install’ button
- Enter a Site Title (preferably something that reflects the purpose of your blog), your preferred username, password and your email
- If you would like to let search engines crawl your content (probably you do, so you can get visitors) make sure that the ‘Allow my sites to appear….’ check box is ticked
- Click Install WordPress
- If you get the ‘Success!’ screen click the ‘Log In’ button
- Login using your username and password you specified in the installation screen
- Now go to the ‘Posts’ option on the left menu and click ‘Posts’ again
- You should find a default ‘Hello world!’ post, delete that
- Click on the ‘Add New’ option on the left menu
- Now start blogging!
To visit your blog just go to your domain name and it should show in there, unless you installed WordPress in a sub folder (if you did browse to that sub folder). To manage your blog you have to go to wherever you installed wordpress and add ‘/wp-admin’ to the url and you will end up in the management area (you might need to login first). If you want to customize your blog look out for themes online, there are tons of free wordpress themes on various websites, and if you look around you will find a lot of extra options in the admin panel that will help you to customize your blog. If you want to extend functionality you need to have a look at some plugins online, again, there are tons of free ones out there.
Hopefully this how to showed you how easily you can get your own free blog. The installation and setting it up should not take more than a few minutes. Don’t forget to submit your blog to search engines and update regularly!