Okay, so you just found out “they” are coming you look around in a panic wondering where to begin. Here are some tips to help you prepare.
- Make a list of your In-laws favorite foods, beverages and snacks. Are the allergic to any foods? Do onions make your mother in-law ill? What kind of milk do they prefer; whole, non-fat etc., cereals, TV shows, think of all the things that are important to them. Take the time to stock your pantry and fridge with things you know they will enjoy.
- Figure out sleeping arrangements. Will you give up your bed? Do you hopefully have a guest room they can use? What about bathroom arrangements? A nice touch is to give them their own set of towels to use.
- After deciding where they are going to sleep. Start making the room as comfortable as possible. New pillows perhaps? A comforter will go a long way in making the room soft, warm and inviting. A throw at the end of the blanket is very comfy. Make sure you have extra blankets in case they get chilled.
- Make room in a closet so they can hang up their clothes, a dresser drawer is nice too.
- If they don’t have allergies a vase of festive fresh flowers is a special touch along with a basket of soaps, lotions and other toiletries. For that extra special touch put a piece of chocolate on their pillow.
- Make sure you take into account the number of days they will be with you, and make sure you have enough food in the house for breakfasts and lunch and not just the big holiday meal.
All of these special touches send the message that you care and that you want their stay to be comfortable and enjoyable. They will tell all their friends how gracious a host or hostess you were to them.